Monthly Favourites for July 2017

~ Monthly Favourites for July 2017 ~

Hey hey!  How’s it going, you guys?  I’m just going to come out and say it – we are over half way through 2017!  Can you believe it?  This month flew by (as usual).  Just last week, I saw a flyer with ‘end of season sale’ on the front page.  WHAT?! NO!  C’mon!  Like, seriously, the season just started.  I refuse to get sucked into that nonsense and as long as the temperature is decent, this chick is going to enjoy every day grillin’, chilln’, and soaking in that sun (with the appropriate level of SPF<—public service announcement – wear your SPF, people!

Anywho, it’s been another food filled month with lots of great recipes and even my first book review!  Let’s get onto the good stuff!

THINGS I’VE POSTED THIS MONTH –

Easy Fall-off-the-Bone Ribs – this is the only rib recipe you will ever need.  I’ve made these so much and you’re gonna love them!

Easy Fall-off-the-Bone Rib recipe for pork ribs - girlheartfood.com

Check out this video for these ribs too –

Yogurt Every Day Book Review Plus Two Recipes –

Yogurt Every Day Book Review Plus a Giveaway - girlheartfood.com

Wafflewich from Yogurt Every Day –

Wafflewich from Yogurt Every Day - girlheartfood.com

Mediterranean Burrito from Yogurt Every Day

Mediterranean Burritos from Yogurt Every Day - girlheartfood.com

Roasted Strawberry & Tipsy Cheese Crostini – this was a sponsored post with Dairy Farmers of Canada.  Have you ever roasted strawberries?  Do it!  The strawberry flavour is intensified and oh so good!

Roasted Strawberry and Tipsy Cheese Crostini {easy appetizer} - girlheartfood.com

RECIPES I’M LOVIN’ –

Here are a couple of recipes from friends and fellow food bloggers that I’m swooning over this month and I think you will too!

Root Beer Glazed Slow Cooker Pulled Pork  from Kevin is Cooking (pictured below & photo credit).  I feel like I would be face and eyes into this sandwich and not care one bit about it.  Napkin?  Who needs ’em?!  Your mind will be too focused on shoving this into your pie hole anyway, lol 😀

Healthier Double Chocolate Muffins from Love in my Oven (pictured below & photo credit) – Most people love muffins, but sometimes avoid them because of the high calorie content.  Ain’t nobody got time for that!  Katherine, makes some healthy substitutions in these bad boys with Greek yogurt, bananas and agave.  Eat with abandon, my friends!

TV SHOWS/MOVIES –

Hubby and I have a new little tradition where Sunday evenings we typically veg out and watch a cartoon.  We stumbled upon Moana featuring Dwayne Johnson.  It came out sometime last year, but is now on Netflix.  It’s a feel good show and I’m pretty sure you’re going to love it too!  Ratatouille, Zootopia, Inside Out, The Secret Life of Pets,  and, of course, the Toy Story series are pretty awesome too – nice, feel good movies.  Do you have any favourite cartoons?  Do tell! P.S. I will seriously never truly ‘grow up’.  No matter 😉

The Strain on FX. I’ve mentioned this show before and it’s definitely not for everyone.  It’s about these vampire-like creatures (so you see where I’m going with this).  It’s the final season and I’m so sad that because I’ve really enjoyed this one from the start.  Fair warning – you may have weird dreams if you watch this too close to bedtime. #BeenThere

Atomic Blonde featuring Charlize Theron.  Ok, I’m a little early with this one, but this movie looks freakin’ amaze balls!  Check out the trailer here.  It looks action packed, right?  This one is being advertised as the female James Bond so it’s gotta be good! Hubby and I plan to go this weekend so stay tuned for the 411 on what my thoughts are!

It’s getting to the end of the popular summer movie season.  What movies have you seen or would recommend?

MUSIC

‘Versace on the Floor’ by Bruno Mars.  This is a new song by the artist and it’s kind of like his stuff I enjoyed a few years back – easy listening and chill.

You guys, I NEED some new song recommendations for my play list.  Lay it on me!

RANDOM –

I came across an article on Buzzfeed.com about slang phrases/terms that mainly only a restaurant worker would use, like ’86’ ‘cupcaking’ and ‘in the weeds’.  I recognized a lot cause I’m obsessed with cooking shows, but there were definitely a few that I didn’t hear before.  How many do you know?

I love this new (short) Oreo cookie commercial featuring a snippet of the 90’s song Hynotize by The Notorious B.I.G.  It’s the one commercial I wish were longer, lol 😀

You have GOT to check out this photo of a humpback whale taken right here.  We have lots  of whales around this time of year and this shot is nothing short of GORGEOUS!  If you are ever inclined to visit Newfoundland, there are lots of boat tours you can take and get up close and personal with whales and even check out some stunning ice bergs.

Canada just celebrated 150 years July 1st so that was pretty special! Check out this beautiful video from my own province, Newfoundland, from Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism

A shout out goes to Melissa from Saskatchewan as being the winner in the Yogurt Every Day book giveway!  Congrats & enjoy the book!

So, tell me, what have been some favourites of yours this past month?

Hope you’ve enjoyed my Monthly Favourites for July 2017!

Have a fab weekend!  I’m sure this little guy will have some fun running around in the yard!Monthly Favourites for July 2017 - girlheartfood.com

P.S. If you missed my last monthly favourites, you can check it out here

51 thoughts on “Monthly Favourites for July 2017

1. Tracey says:

Hey Dawn, your mom had told me all about your blog. I popped on, thinking I’ll have a quick look for now and go back later. That was more then an hour ago, lol. Great job girl. I will continue to check it out from time to time. And perhaps you will even encourage me to try a few of your delicious recepies. Everything looks so yummy. I’ve linked on twitter, pintrest, FB as well. I also, sent your blog link to many of my friends. As I’m sure they will love it too. #yougogirl!

2. Marissa says:

Just when I thought I couldn’t like you any more than I already do, you divulge the Sunday cartoon movie night. US TOO! And you’ve listed some of our favorites. We watch Ratatouille no less than 3 times a year. 😉 Still love the first Kung Fu Panda, Mulan and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs…

Always love your lists, Dawn. I’ve got those melt in your mouth ribs and tipsy crostini on August’s menu!
    Marissa recently posted…Pita BreadMy Profile

Oh July. I know summer’s ending when I start seeing winter jackets in Costco! Yikes. It really flew by. Another delicious month Dawn! Love all these recipes. What about that wafflewich?? YUM. We are currently loving that American Ninja Warriors and SYTYCD are back. Who’s a fan of reality competitions?! LOL. Have a great August!

4. Natalie Browne says:

We get a healthy dose of Moana, thanks to the little 6 yo running around our house, lol. I love the recipes you featured, especially those ribs. They look seriously drool-worthy.

5. Lizzie says:

So many tasty looking recipes it’s hard to know where to begin! Am loving those strawberry crostinis though 😉 cheese makes everything better!

6. Amanda (Peppers & Pennies) says:

Looks like you had a busy and DELICIOUS month! Seriously, you did summer good well!

As for music suggestions I don’t know if house is your thing but I think this qualifies as tropical house so it has summery and beachy vibes and is low key, but Jonas Blue has been on my playlist lately especially his newest song “Mama”. Let me know what you think.

7. Katherine | Love In My Oven says:

Dawn!!! I was at my Mom’s house for a few days and she doesn’t believe in the Internet (lol) so I couldn’t comment until tonight BUT – thank you for including my muffins on this fun post and I love everything else you’ve got going on!! I am a big fan of Disney movies (Ratatouille is one of my faves). Also, I haven’t heard of The Strain but I just started True Blood on HBO so I’m apparently into the vampires too.
    LOVE that commercial (and that song).
    Have a great weekend friend!!! XO
    Katherine | Love In My Oven recently posted…Walnut Basil PestoMy Profile

Haha! No worries! It was my pleasure! They are so good 🙂 Ratatouille is definitely at the top of the list for me; I could watch that one a million times and never tire of it! You have to watch The Strain!! I finished the whole series of True Blood and enjoyed it. Some seasons were better than others, but it was entertaining for sure! Have a great weekend too! XO

8. Tracy | Baking Mischief says:

Dawn, those ribs look absolutely TO DIE FOR!!

I love your new tradition of watching an animated film. Seems like the perfect peaceful way to end a weekend! It’s not an animated movie, but the new Pete’s Dragon is on Netflix and it’s SO SWEET. Totally cried in the theater over that one.

And Atomic Blonde? YEEEEEESSS!!! Seeing it tomorrow and I can’t wait! 🙂

9. Cindy Rodriguez says:

I love this format! Have you found that you get a good response from your audience when it comes to these monthly favorites? I’ve been playing with roundups and I’m still feeling them out

10. Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says:

Riley is too cute for words! I let out an audible “awwwwww” and Cookie looked at me like, “what?” It’s possible she’s jealous. HOW is July almost over? HOW? This is just nuts. As for cartoons, have you seen “Finding Nemo”? That’s one of my all-time favorites. It’s so old now, though. . .but still just as good as when it was new! Have a great weekend, Dawn!
    Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen recently posted…Pavlova with Blackberry, Lime, and CardamomMy Profile

11. Ginny says:

I refuse to jump ahead into holidays and seasons that are months away! Enjoy today is my motto. 🙂 O love your last pic of that sweet dace. Thanks for the post.

What an exciting month for GHF! I can’t handle those ribs! And I’m suddenly thinking the smoker needs to get a workout this weekend! Half way through summer is a concept I’m struggling to wrap my brain around! Winter never goes this fast! Okay – I loveee that picture of Riley! What a face! Have a great weekend, my friend! XOXO
    annie@ciaochowbambina recently posted…Blueberry Fig Crumbly CakeMy Profile

13. Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says:

Bahahaha! OMG, we ARE totally sisters from another misters! I said the same EXACT thing about summer! And I even called it nonsense!! <3 I can't believe we are half way through the year.. time is crazy if you ask me! You made SO much deliciousness this month! I want them ALL! But, I'm going to start with those ribs, because they are totally calling my name!!! Cheers, lovely!
    P.S. Bruno Mars is AWESOME!!!!!
    Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary recently posted…Peach & Strawberry Sorbet Rosé FloatMy Profile

First of all, “Hey, Riley!” Ok, now that we got that out of the way, I’ve gotta say that I’m totally on board with the whole year flying by thing. We were traveling the 2nd half of June, so July has been a total blur as we’ve tried to catch back up. Sometimes I wonder if traveling is worth it since you have so much catch-up to do when you get back (not to mention extra workouts for the, ahem, cookies I may or may not have eaten). So, yeah, August. We actually had a little cooler spell here the past few days (I imagine you had it, too, since I think our weather kinda follows the same trends), and it made me realize that Fall is coming. I can’t believe it! As far as shows, we’re wrapping up The Killing. The earlier seasons are better, but it’s still worth finishing. And then we’ll be hunting for something new. Also, I echo Milena’s comment about Game of Thrones. Best.Show.Ever. Gory, but amazing. Have a great weekend, my friend!!
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Porcini Rubbed Steak with Sauteed MushroomsMy Profile

Riley says ‘hiiiii’ or ‘ruff ruff’ 😉 Oh, I know what you mean…sometimes you need a vacation from your vacation, lol 😀 Don’t forget, calories don’t count on vacation…hehehe. Have a great weekend too, David!

This year just needs to stop going by so fast! But yay for July favorites! I really need to try your ribs. My husband makes pretty good ones, but I’m loving the spices you used. And that is a gorgeous picture of that whale! I would love to see that in person. And I’ve never heard of that Bruno Mars song, I’ll have to look it up. Hope you have a great weekend!

16. Milena | craftbeering.com says:

Hey, busy month Dawn! And I also can’t believe how fast it went. About the end of season sales…I can totally believe that…the local Home Depot already had Christmas seasonal merchandise?? I will refrain from judging the health of the retail industry. Staying on the same page with you and continuing to grill, spend time outside and drink good brews. It IS summer! So how about Game of Thrones:)? If you can handle The Strain…, just saying.
    Milena | craftbeering.com recently posted…Classic ‘Beered Up’ Peel and Eat ShrimpMy Profile

Yes! Me too! Are you serious? I’m afraid to go to Costco cause they probably have gift out already! Haha – I will check it out just for you 😉 Thanks, Milena, and have a fab weekend 🙂 !