Monthly Favourites March 2017

Monthly Favouites March 2017 - girlheartfood.com

Monthly Favourites March 2017

Ok, I’m going to blow your mind right now, you guys.  Can you believe that basically a quarter of 2017 has passed already?  I’ll just give you a minute to process that while I go grab a cookie………

Are you ok?  Are you still with me?  I know, I know.  I can’t believe it, either.  March was a rough one for us weather wise.  One minute it was nice and sunny and promises of spring and lovely weather were in the air.  Then? Then, it was crazy winds and bitter cold.  Mother Nature played tricks on us round these parts.  Why you be hatin’ on us, girl?

Anyway, let’s get to it. Let’s check out what’s been happening around these parts, shall we?

THINGS I’VE POSTED THIS MONTH –

Shepherd’s Pie with Guinness Lamb & Horseradish Mash –

Shepherd's Pie {with Guinness Lamb and Horseradish Mash} - girlheartfood.com

Veggie Korma –

Veggie Korma {vegetarian, gluten free} - girlheartfood.com

Zucchini Noodle Curry Coconut Soup with Grilled Tofu –

Zucchini Noodle Curry Coconut Soup with Grilled Tofu {vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free} - girlheartfood.com

Coffee Donuts with Peanut Butter Chocolate Glaze –

Coffee Donuts with Peanut Butter Chocolate Glaze - girlheartfood.com

FOOD & FOOD RELATED SHINANIGANS –

Blueberry Almond Biscotti from Ciao Chow Bambina (pictured below and photo credit) –  Biscotti + hot coffee + Saturday morning…’nuff said.  Add blueberries and almonds to the mix and it’s heavenly.

Easy Braised Lamb Shanks from Tasty Ever After (pictured below and photo credit) – With all this cold weather we have been having, I will seriously face plant into this polenta and eat that lamb shank caveman style.  No lie.  Honestly, does the weather even matter?  If it were sweltering hot outside, I’d still eat this faster than you I can say ‘I’m not sharing.'<—-really, don’t ask.

Easy Braised Lamb Shanks - tastyeverafter.com

TV/MOVIES –

Grace & Frankie Season 3 on Netflix –  I LOVE this show. It stars Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin; they are friends and have opposite kinda personalities, but have so much chemistry together.  I laugh my little buns off every time I watch it.  I could quite literally start from season 1 and watch all over again….and probably still laugh at the same jokes!  So endearing.

Into the Badlands on AMC.  Like, whoa. Action packed to the max.  There’s tough warriors.  There’s  battles for land and all sorts of drama goin’ on.   And the female characters?  They kick butt!  This one is not for the faint of heart.  It is graphic violence.  It has been such a long time since season one aired and I have been waiting so long for season 2 to be released.  It’s wicked! By the way, you can binge watch season 1 on Netflix.

Logan – This is the final movie that Hugh Jackman (aka Wolverine) will be playing this character.  What a movie!  There’s this little girl in the movie, played by a young actress, Dafne Keen, and I think she steals the scene every time she is there.  She’s fierce, tough, and super cute.  Even if you aren’t an X Men or Wolverine fan or aren’t up to date on the series of movies, I think that this movie totally stands on its own.  I laughed, I squealed, I cried.  Now, that’s a good  movie, don’t ya think?

MUSIC

Hubby and I don’t really listen to much country music.  However,  just the other weekend, hubby turned on the music app Spotify and searched the classic country genre just to see what was there.  A song played by Dolly Parton called ‘The Story’ which was released in February.  You have got to listen to this song.  The words, the story, is beautiful.  I love it.  It’s one of those songs that makes ya feel all kinds of warm, gushy feelings.  And, if I’m having a day (you know those), it just may make me cry in the best kind of way.

RANDOM –

Though I’m technically an adult, I’m pretty sure I’m not fully there yet (or, truth be told, ever will be).  Just recently there was a new Nintendo system released called ‘Nintendo Switch’ so I had to get my little hands on that…..you know, for nostalgia purposes and all (aka lies I tell myself).

The game I’m really looking forward to being released for this system is ‘Super Mario Odyssey’ (which is not out until December) #WhyDoIKnowThis?  So, until Mario’s release, I purchased a Zelda game called ‘Legend of Zelda – Breath of the Wild’.  It’s totally a guilty weekend pleasure!  I was never a Zelda player, but now?  Loves it, I do.  It’s an adventure game and apparently really big and takes a while to finish.  I’m not the best player in the world and pretty sure it’ll be the only game I’ll ever play ’cause it’s taking me so long, but I am progressing and having fun. So………

Confession time!!—–>

I curse like a little sailor and freak out get feisty playing this game.  It’s intense and there are monsters and I get so involved.  Hubby sits next to me on the couch looking at me like I’m crazy.  He is probably wondering ‘who is this person??’  I’m sure he is going to hide the game away pretty soon, lol.  It’s like the 1980’s all over again with me playing Sega’s Master System staying up late and then crying cause I have to get to the next level. Oh, memories.  But, I maaay have a problem.

BOOKS –

All is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker.  It’s a debut book for the author.  It’s a fictional story and kind of dark, but I can’t put it down.  It’s about a young girl who gets attacked at a party and then she is given a drug to medically erase her memory of the attack.  Apparently, there is going to be a movie made out of this one.  I don’t want to say too much about the book, but so far it is being told mainly via the psychologist who is treating the attacked girl.  Not exactly bed time reads, but such a page turner.

Hope you’ve enjoyed my Monthly Favourites March 2017.  And if you missed my last Monthly Favourites, you can check it out here.

So, tell me, what were some of your favourites from this past Month?  I’d love to hear about it!

Have a fabulously relaxing food-filled weekend!  Hope you get to chill out like this little guy; he knows how to do it!

Monthly Favourites March 2017 - girlheartfood.com

24 thoughts on “Monthly Favourites March 2017

1. Cindy says:

I love it! Can you come out to Cali and play Nintendo with my kids. And Mario? Oh forget it. I think they won’t let you leave. Thanks for rounding up those awesome faves and for letting us get to know you better. Cheers –

I was reading your chili post and I thought, I wonder if Dawn posted her end of month post yet. I can’t believe I missed this! I love your monthly favourites 🙂 You know my couch potato Netflix loving winter hibernating self lives vicariously through your adventures lol. So much deliciousness this month eh? Yummmm! And good shows. We haven’t started on Badlands, maybe when TWD is done (meh this season for me. You? I think it gets better though…judging from last night). Hope you get lots of sunshine and warm weather soon!!

Yay! Thanks Jolina 🙂 It’s hard not to be a couch potato this time of year. Who wants to go out into the cold? Hope you like Into The Badlands. So much action! Yeah, TWD hasn’t been the best season yet. Too bad – hope it gets better, but not so sure anymore. Have a great week!

3. Milena | craftbeering.com says:

Ha! So you too like Into the Badlands! Chris watched last season and is watching it now. I guess I should believe him that it is good:) Maybe I will binge watch both seasons once the current season is over. If I wasn’t such a nerd spending my late evenings reading about bacteria, yeasts, fermentation and the microbiome I would watch more movies, haha. My most recent claim to fame is binge watching Marco Polo a few months back. Now feeling empty because the third season is not yet on the horizon. Bacteria again though – couldn’t help but wonder what the fermented beverage was that all the Mongolians were drinking in the series. It was mare’s fermented milk:) Have a great weekend!
    Milena | craftbeering.com recently posted…Soft Beer Pretzel Trees for Your BeerMy Profile

Yes! I do! It’s a great show, but Grace & Frankie is probably my fave right now 🙂 Have you watched that one? Haha! Thanks for that little factoid from the show 😉 Have a lovely weekend too, Milena!

4. Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says:

As always in my life, dogs take priority over everything; your fur baby is SO FREAKING CUTE, Dawn! Looking at the pic of him is calming my nerves a little after you pointed out that we’re a quarter of the way through the year. Is it just me or is time moving faster than it used to? I can’t take it. I’m going to eat my feelings with one (or 10) of your gorgeous donuts. . .I still can’t get over those beauties 🙂
    Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen recently posted…Pesto + Mozzarella Stuffed Soft PretzelsMy Profile

Haha! I totally know what you mean, Kelsie!! Time definitely is going faster the older we get. Ahhhhhhh!! Donuts definitely do make things better, though 😉 Thanks so much, girl! Hope you have a great weekend 🙂

5. Sarah @ Champagne Tastes says:

I’m so happy that it’s almost April! March was pretty ridiculously cold.. but I’ve made my peace with it because it finally got warm enough here to put my herbs outside! Hehe.. So exciting! 😀 And I still need to try your version of Veg. Korma- I Loooove veg korma!!!

It’s still cold here, Sarah! We have more snow and freezing rain coming over the next two days. When will it stop?! Oh well, not much we can do, right?? So jealous that you can put your herbs outside already!! I’d say we have a few months to go yet. Hope you get to try the veg korma! Let me know if you do 🙂

Wowza! You guys ate gooood this month! I don’t even know where I’d begin…oh, I know – on the couch cuddling with puppy and then, I’m thinking, the shepherd’s pie! I cannot with that! Thank you so much for sharing my biscotti! Reminds me – I need to make another batch! And Karrie’s dish has my name written all over it! I’ve been in the mood for polenta! Okay – so not that I needed any more proof of our sisterhood, but I love Grace & Frankie, too! I’m trying to take my time watching the new season so that I have them to look forward to each week! Have you watched The Newsroom? I highly recommend it!! Wishing you an awesome weekend, my dear! Hopefully the sun will decide to show up for the party! XOXO
    annie@ciaochowbambina recently posted…Blackberry Ginger Balsamic SmashMy Profile

We totally did! Now you know why I exercise, lol 😀 My pleasure for sharing your biscotti; it looks too good!! I totally know what you mean about pacing yourself with Grace & Frankie. I’ll be so sad when the season ends and I’ll have to wait a long while until the next. I’ll probably start over again. I look forward so much to watching it! It would be perfect to sit down with one of your beautiful Blueberry cocktails and watch this weekend….I think that sounds like a plan! No, I haven’t seen The Newsroom, but will definitely check out! Always up for new show recommendations! Have a lovely weekend too, sweets! XOXO P.S. Puppy says hi 😉

I can’t believe how fast time is flying! I feel like I say that all the time, but it’s so true, especially as we get older. You’ve had a delicious month, Dawn! I’ve got to try those donuts asap and your shepherd’s pie. I was just telling my husband that I need to make that since I’ve never done that before! 🙂 Ok and what is this Nintendo Switch? I am SO looking for that now! I haven’t heard of that, but nintendo was my absolute favorite when I was little, the original one. My brother and I would play that for hours, and then my parents would play when we went to bed haha. I was never into Zelda either, but I will have to look for it. Do you remember the Ducktales game? That was a favorite of mine after the mario ones. And I will have to check out that book! I’m always looking for new recommended reads. Love this post, as always. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, friend!
    Gayle @ Pumpkin ‘N Spice recently posted…Meal for One: Savory Oatmeal Breakfast BowlMy Profile

I know, Gayle! I feel like I say that every time too, but time really is flying! I hope you do get a chance to try the shepherd’s pie! My sis in law made it and loved it so I was super happy to hear that! Yes, the Ducktale’s game! OMG, memories!! I wish I still had some of those old games!! Yes, that book is really good; if you read it, let me know what you think! It’ll be interesting when they make the movie too; have to see that to see how it compares. Thanks so much for the sweet comment, as usual, my friend. Have a wonderful weekend too 🙂

Oh, that photo of the pup is just adorable, Dawn! Love your monthly recap posts. 🙂 But I have to comment on Zelda. I am a HUGE Zelda fan. That game pretty much describes my childhood. I was in a comic book store the other day, and I noticed that Nintendo has released this big volume of the art and artwork of Zelda. I almost got it! But then I was like…what am I going to actually do with this book? But yeah, I still remember so many of the older Zelda games. I haven’t played many of the newer ones (stopping around Wii time) mainly because I haven’t had time. They are big games/worlds and huge puzzles…but that’s what makes it fun for me. Anyways, now that I’ve waxed philosophical about Zelda, I need to go off and dream of that shepherd’s pie a bit more. 🙂 Happy Thursday, my friend!
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Carrot Cake Bundt CakeMy Profile

Thank you David!! I was never a big Zelda fan growing up, but my brother was. And I was a little disappointed when I discovered that the Mario game wasn’t going to be released right away with the new Nintendo system, but now that I have Zelda? There’s no turning back!! That game is crazy good! I can understand why you are a fan 🙂 It’s addictive, that’s for sure! Happy Thursday to you too!!