Things I’ve Learned Being a Food Blogger {the good, the bad & the funny}

Things I've Learned Being a Food Blogger {the good, the bad & the funny} - girlheartfood.com

Things I’ve Learned Being a Food Blogger

{the good, the bad & the funny}

Hey guys!  Real talk.  Let’s get serious for a hot minute, ok?  Ok, not that serious, but  I’m bringing you something a little different today.  Mixing this whole posting thing up, ya know?  I haven’t been blogging for a huge amount of time, but long enough where I can share a few tidbits of info with you guys.

You may be thinking ‘But, Dawn, I’m not a food blogger; why would I even care?’  Wellllll, first of all hopefully you like me and you like reading my stuff or maybe you will find this half entertaining or, at the very least, a way to spend 10 minutes while you drink your morning coffee before you have to haul yourself out the door.  Really selling it here, aren’t I?  And, positive note,  if you don’t find it entertaining, well I guess you can laugh at me.  No, don’t do that 😉

I can guarantee you one thing, though, this whole blogging thing has been a BIG learning experience.  I was doing something on my blog the other day and I thought to myself ‘gee, if I had known that when I started, it certainly would have made this easier.’  You know, I have a lot of those moments.  There is probably not a week that goes by that I haven’t learned something new.  It’s crazy.  And I’m only scrapping the bottom of the barrel right now.  There’s a bazillion things that I still don’t know.  Preach.  And, if I still have my hair intact a year from now that will be miracle.  So, without further adieu let’s get on with it.

1.   Being a food blogger means that you will suddenly be a dish collector.  This goes in the same category as tea towel collector, utensil collector and backdrop collector.  Just as well to go ahead right off the bat and call a contractor; you’re gonna need the space.

2.   You better get familiar with food lingo.  I’m talking gluten free, vegan and paleo to name a    few ’cause you’re gonna wanna tag, hashtag, label, wrap-it-up-and-tie-it-in-a-bow with these things.  Side note, what the heck is ‘paleo’?  I honestly still don’t know.  I just know that chickpeas aren’t permitted and then I was confused.  Someone, help.

3.  Get tech savy.  ‘Oh, you silly girl, you wanna start a blog, do you?’  Well, you better put your big girl pants on and learn how to be a web master.  SEO?  What’s that?  And don’t even get me started on if you update a plug-in (like an app) and it messes with your blog.  Ugh!!!    Oh, and apparently ‘Tall Pins’ (taller pics) on Pinterest are all the rage.  What’s wrong with a regular sized picture?  Huh??

4.  Related to tech savy is social media savy.  And you better get your act together.  I swear, that there’s just as much work involved with putting your stuff out there into the million types of social media as it is actually doing the recipe.  It’s cray cray.  Speaking of social media, there’s Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and so much more that I don’t even have a clue about.  I literally only signed up for Facebook last summer.  Yes, last summer.  And, no, I wasn’t living under a rock.  I live on a rock<—that’s the nickname of the Province (like a state in the U.S.) that I’m from.  Facebook is just not my jam.  Wanna be a blogger?  You better make it your jam.  Put that on an English muffin and gobble that stuff up 😀  It’s your life now, baby.

5.  Let’s talk about Foodgawker.   You know that site where you submit your perfect professional looking photos?  Yes, that place.  I remember the first time I had a photo accepted on Foodgawker and I got the email  on a Saturday night.  It was for my Asparagus & Spinach Soup.  I screamed up and down like a crazy person I was so excited and hubby probably thought I was completely losing it but it totally made my night.  #TheLittleThings.  This whole photo submission thing can bring you up or crush you with one little press of an ‘accept’ or ‘reject’ button.  I have a bunch of photos rejected from Foodgawker, too, and I can truly say that I’m not too upset when they are because it only pushes me to be a better photographer and editor.  Positive thinking<—I must be having a good day as I’m writing this, lol 😀  Ask me how I feel about that tomorrow and I might have an different answer for ya!

5.  You will be a slave to your phone and/or computer because when you are not on it uploading photos, editing photos, writing your recipe, writing your post, you are on that dang social media again and you will go around like a drone and missing everything around you.  That’s why you learn to prioritize and not have a FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)<—-look at me, I learned that 😉  Get your act together and realize that you can’t be working on the blog 24/7.  Ain’t nobody got time for dat.  #Truth.

6.  Squirt bottles will change your life.  When I did a really delicious taco post, I just spooned the sauce over top.  I mean, it still tasted the same, but if I only had that squirt bottle. If only.  Imagine how perfect they would look? Everything looks better with a perfectly drizzled sauce.  Trust me.

7.  All of a sudden you will need stuff that you didn’t know existed.  I’m looking at you taco holders.  Then, it’s like how have you ever functioned before without that item?? What?  Lay tacos out without a taco holder?!  What am I…an animal?!

8.  Set a reasonable posting schedule.  When I first started to blog, I thought that I would post three days a week.  I blog as a hobby and work full time.  What a silly girl I was.  I can only shot pics on the weekend and I only have, like, 2 hours on a Saturday or Sunday where I have half decent natural lighting.  In the winter, fugget ’bout it.  Anywho, now this chicka be bloggin’ once a week.  Quality over quantity, right<—–still working on dem pics, tho.  Holla Foodgawker 😉

9.  Food will always go cold.  Hubby has learned that if I am making something that I am shooting for the blog to not even sit his little butt on the kitchen chair until those photos are done, son.  Hey, at least I got the shot (eye roll).

10.  You will have duds.  I’m talking to you gluten free baking.  It’s my nemesis.  Sometimes a beautifully, tasty recipe in your head just doesn’t execute well.  And, then, when you have those days, you could possibly sit down and cry and wonder what the heck you are doing and think that you don’t have a clue and you wanna give it up and you SUCK.  Big time.  And that’s after you’ve probably thrown that dud right out the window for the birds to eat and you are confident that you are not for blogging and you are going to quit and you’ve made up your mind.  Then….

11.  There are days that you love blogging.  You know those days where someone makes your recipe and says how good it is or they like your pic and then you look like that little cat, Puss-n-Boots, from the movie Shrek all doey eyed and thankful and you want to blog forever and ever  ’cause it’s the best.  So,

12.  Basically, you are on a roller coaster ride of emotions, but most of the time you are on the straight and narrow and trying to not look like a total fool doing this whole blog thing, trying to get your act together (or at least looking like you have your act together),  but secretly trying to keep it together…ya know?

13.  Sometimes I’m prepping/cooking/taking pics for soooo long that by the time I’m ready to eat it, I don’t want to anymore.  No joke.

14.  It’s like you spend 99% of your time in the kitchen (that’s what it feels like anyway), prepping, cooking, cleaning the endless amount of dirty dishes.  Maybe I should just move the bed there.  Have a hidden one in one of the cabinets.  That way I can spend every single waking moment there. #sarcastic.  Hubby says that I have this thing where I have to dirt every.single.spoon in the drawer.  Hey, what can I say, I don’t want to cross contaminate.

15.  Speaking of food, there are SO many leftovers!  To all you food bloggers out there that blog multiple times per week, where do you put it?  I’m honestly asking.  I know I make one thing for the blog per week plus my regular non-blog cooking and, I swear, by the time Sunday rolls around I have enough food in the fridge for hubby and I until about Thursday.  Do you freeze it?  Give it away? Hide it in your pants? What’s your secret?

16.  There will be people that don’t like your stuff and it blows.  And you feel like crap.  And you just want to stuff your piehole with popcorn and complain (on the inside) and you want to tell those people where to go, but you don’t ’cause you’re better than that. You gotta let that roll off your shoulders.  Easier said than done, I know, but sometimes that’s life.  Plus, there’s a bunch of other people that love your stuff and that has to count for waaay more than the haters, right?  RIGHT!  High five!

17.  Never compare your blog to others.  When you play the compare game you lose.  Big time.  I remember reading a quote somewhere a while back and it basically went like something to the effect of ‘when you compare yourself to others, you think you’re better than or less than and neither is a good thing.’  Ain’t that the truth? Just do you, boo.  Do you very best, every time and what more can anyone ask of you or, more importantly, what more can you ask of yourself?  Nothing.  And if there are days that you just aren’t feelin’ it.  Don’t even dare think about putting those little fingers to that keyboard because it just ain’t gonna happen.  Your readers will feel your crappiness and who wants that?  If you gotta take time away from the blog, do it!  And you’ll come back that much more refreshed and ready to get at it!

18.  You will have pieces of paper everywhere!!  Even if you have a planner like me, you will make notes. It doesn’t matter where, but you will get an idea and if you are like me, you have to get that stuff from head to pen to paper or it will get lost.  Heck, sometimes I even walk into my pantry and forget why I went in there.  That’s another story.  A lot of the these points you are reading right now were drafting on white space on the front of my local weekend newspaper.  No lie.

19.  There is a tremendous amount of support out there from fellow food bloggers.  It’s this community of people with a common interest and there is always someone to ask if you don’t have a clue about something.  Been there, done that.  Multiple times.   You know as they say when you were younger – ‘there is no stupid question. The only thing that is stupid is not asking the question.’  Truth be told that there probably are stupid questions, but I’m gonna ask them anyway.  #NoShame.

Hope you enjoyed this one, you guys!  And if you are left hungry you can check out some wicked recipes, herehere and here.

Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂

P.S. If you are looking for something for Valentine’s Day tomorrow, check out this sweet treat!

60 thoughts on “Things I’ve Learned Being a Food Blogger {the good, the bad & the funny}

1. Marisa says:

What a thoroughly enjoyable read and I can totally relate to it all! I’m almost three years into blogging and the more I learn the more I feel there is to learn…lol! Thankfully my husband and I both love left overs so food never goes to waste. Having said that I also bring lots of sweets into work which makes my colleagues very happy indeed! Definitely a win win 😊

2. Gabrielle @ eyecandypopper says:

I can totally relate…. and it’s been over 4 years for me… yikes! Eating hot food is so overrated! hahaha As for food, I usually only make 2-4 portions, so at the most I have 1 leftover meal. When I make cakes or large desserts, I give some to family or friends, or even send some to my husband’s work. They love it!

3. Sharon says:

I can relate to so many things on this list! So can my other half (his nickname for me is the dirty dish maker). I’ve learned that foodgawker loves light & bright photos, comparison is the thief of joy, and blogging is a personal journey. The social media has been a challenge for me also! I got my first cell phone just last year so I could finally start an instagram page. Ay yi yi. 😉 Thanks for sharing! It was fun to read and nice to feel like I’m not the only one. 🙂
    Sharon recently posted…Chocolate Covered Almonds – Vegan + Gluten FreeMy Profile

I’m sure you don’t hate blogging, Ms. Karrie 🙂 But, maybe on some days you are a little less fond of it….me too 😉 Your recipes are too delicious to not like blogging and share that stuff! XOXO

4. Gaila says:

I totally love this post, is more or less my life in writting!! I struggle myself with comparing with other blogs, but I think is kind of normal when you have such talented group of friends. 😊 Leftovers wise: I do work at a law firm so my coworkers are my tasters!! hehehehe! such a great post!!
    Gaila recently posted…Crunchy breaded eggplant parmesanMy Profile

5. Karen (Back Road Journal) says:

What a terrific post and oh so true. I’ve been blogging for almost 6 years now and do almost everything wrong according to what you “should be doing”. I’m not tech savvy in the slightest and social media is basically nonexistent in my life. Facebook and I don’t get along, if blogging was only dependent on FB then I definitely wouldn’t have a blog. With all that being said, somehow, my blog works for me and I’m having fun…for me that is all that counts. 😀
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted…Mini Baklava CupsMy Profile

Thank you very much, Kate!! Having a supportive group of fellow food bloggers such as yourself is definitely one of the best things about blogging! Really appreciate the kind words, my friend! XO

6. Tracy | Baking Mischief says:

Hehe, I loved this post, Dawn! YES on all of these. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started my blog! And you are so right about social media. I had basically zero active social media accounts a year and a half ago, and now I feel like I spend all my time on ALL of them. Now I’m off to try your tip about the squirt bottle!
    Tracy | Baking Mischief recently posted…Small-batch Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls With Espresso GlazeMy Profile

Thank you so much, Tracy!! I know! So much time on social media. It’s just too much, isn’t it? And there’s always something new. Least we’re always learning, right 🙂 ? Hope you’re having a great weekend!

7. Cathy | whatshouldimakefor.com says:

love this post Dawn. you had me cracking up and nodding at every turn. it’s truly a labor of love and every day is something new. i was just saying to someone that i’m looking forward to the day when i don’t have to learn yet another new thing! but i wouldn’t change it. after all, i can do it in my cozy sweats and am so lucky to have met so many like-minded people and formed these wonderful “virtual” friendships. great post!

Yay! Thank you so much, Cathy! Glad you had a laugh 😀 It definitely is a labor of love, but, like you, deep down, I wouldn’t change a thing. And definitely love having met such wonderful peoples as yourself through all this! Hope you have a lovely weekend, my friend!

8. Miriam - londonkitchendiaries.com says:

So much fun reading this post – I can relate to all of it! I had no idea what I got myself into when I started my blog and there is so much to learn. I found the technical side the hardest and I was giggling when you mentioned the dish collecting issue. I now have a dedicated cupboard for all the dishes, towels etc. and it can be so frustrating if recipes don’t work out and then it is so much fun when they do 🙂 Leftovers can be a bit of an issue (as well as overeating ;-)) I tend to freeze a lot or give it to my neighbours and friends.
    Miriam – londonkitchendiaries.com recently posted…Homemade Hummus from dried chickpeasMy Profile

I had no idea what I was getting myself into either, Miriam and, like you, I’d say that the technical stuff is definitely the hardest. So much to learn!! It never stops, does it? Happy that you enjoyed this post; it was fun writing it too 🙂 Have a great weekend!

9. Muna Kenny says:

I smiled and at times giggled while reading your post. Dawn, you are right, it’s not easy but now we appreciate the hard work we invested in our blogs. I made a mistake of comparing my blog to few, that almost depressed me, but I remembered that my blog is my baby and no one should compare his baby to others’, our babies are always special because they are different and unique 🙂
    Muna Kenny recently posted…Chicken Shawarma Made EasyMy Profile

10. annie says:

I can relate to so much in this post!
    The papers….I go through notebooks and notebooks and more notebooks. But if I suddenly have an idea and there’s no notebook within reach, it goes on a receipt or napkin. Then I’m all….”oh crab, where did I put that li’l slip of paper.
    I’m a moron at social media. I try, but ugh….I’m just no good at it. There are so many sites to keep up with.
    YES to everything you said about FG. I can spend forever styling something, think it looks great, and then FG will reject it. Wah. I’m learning to just let it roll off my back and motivate me to be a better photographer.
    I do hate being a slave to my computer, but I tell myself that at least I’m being productive, instead of wasting time taking another “what farm league mascot are you?” buzzfeed quiz.
    Yes. So many leftovers. And it’s not like you can give them to a neighbor. Hey, you want this cake that I took a slice out of to photograph?
    And the dishes. My favorite-favorite-favorite photoshoot dish shattered this morning. I was pretty upest, first world problems. Now I need to hunt down another, and it has to have the right feel, ya know?

Thanks for posting this, Dawn! I had a great time reading it. <3
    annie recently posted…How to go vegan for Lent, or for good. Plus a recipe for spinach nuggets and a videoMy Profile

I know! So many notebooks, all half used, lol 😀 Leftovers are definitely hard. I do love them, but sometimes it’s just way too much for two people, ya know? Sorry to hear about your favourite photoshoot dish! That’s unfortunate!! Hopefully you’ll find one soon that you love even more. Thanks so much, Annie! So happy you enjoyed this post!! xo

11. Shashi at RunninSrilankan says:

Oh Dawn – I so so enjoyed this post! From 1 through 19, I found myself smiling and nodding in agreement to each one – except that point about the squirt bottles – now I NEED to get some – talk about learning something new and always collecting props, eh? I’ve been blogging since the summer of 2013 – just like you, I started it as a hobby – but it turned into a a bit of an income generator towards the end of 2014 and I still learn something new EVERY DAY! As for leftovers – I usually make small quantities of baked treats – but the rare time I make a large batch, I usually give them/it away! I remember getting giddy the first time FG accepted one of my pictures – though I still get that way every time they do because there are so many times even now when they dont – but yay for the positive for sure! Yesterday I was at a seminar on cyber security for small business and there were folks there who were small business owners but yet who had their IT team, web development/graphic deign team and marketing team and when I read your points about how “Savy” we need to be, it got me thinking – most of us food bloggers wear all those hats all by ourselves! So glad I stumbled into you on the food blogging interwebs! So loved this post – such a fun, entertaining and heartfelt post! xo
    Shashi at RunninSrilankan recently posted…Turmeric Salmon • Warm Veggie Quinoa Salad • Blueberry Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

That makes me to happy, Shashi!! I really enjoyed writing this post and it was like once I started everything started to pour out 🙂 It’s unreal how many hats we food bloggers have to wear, isn’t it? Totally unexpected, but at least I’m learning something new every day….positive thinking, right? So happy we met too. Meeting new people is definitely one of the best things about blogging. Appreciate your kinds words, my friend! XO

12. Cindy says:

So funny. I can see I have a lot to learn. The squirt bottle is priceless. Congrats with foodgawker and of course you are right, can’t do this 24-7. I am relatively new to this world, 10 months old, and lordie, it is a labor of love for sure. Thanks for sharing this incredibly funny and thoughtful post.

13. Kevin | Keviniscooking says:

Such a great post Dawn! I could relate to each of these, but don’t forget all the time on social, commenting on other’s blogs and replying to comments. Isn’t it just endless? I swear if I could I’d pay someone to do it for me, but then it wouldn’t have that personal touch so no go there. Plus, we would never had met and I rather like our virtual friendship and tastes in food. All the best my dear for an awesome V-Day with the hubs and happy B-Day to your four legged fur baby! <3
    Kevin | Keviniscooking recently posted…Green Chile Chicken EnchiladasMy Profile

Thank you, Kevin! It was really fun writing it too 😀 Oh, I know all the time on social commenting. It’s hard to keep up with it all and it definitely is endless, no doubt about it!! Fur baby says thank you for the b day wishes 🙂 And happy valentine’s day to you guys too!! Hope you have some delicious eats!

14. Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table says:

So many truths here! The roller coaster is for real and the trying to stay away from doing it 24/7 is a struggle, right? It’s SO all consuming and like you said, there’s just SO much to learn. Craziness always. But I’m with you, one day at a time and just keep rocking it the best way you know how. You’ve done an amazing job and already come so far – you gotta stop now and then and be amazed at your progress I think 🙂 Cheers to all the lessons learned and the many, many still to come our way! XO
    Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table recently posted…Chocolate overnight oats, 3 waysMy Profile

So true, Kathryn! I don’t think there will ever be a time when there’s not something new to learn or figure out. Least it keeps our mind active, right 😉 ? Awwww….thank you for that; that means a lot! Cheers right back at ya! XO

LOL you’re hilarious as always Dawn. I love your posts so count me in Team Dawn yes? *high five* I did get a semi-nasty comment just this weekend…does that mean I’ve arrived?? LOL. Gotta laugh about it otherwise we’ll pull our hair out. This is all so true! Our condo is so small you can find dishes EVERYWHERE – under the bathroom sink, in the linen closet, in the bookcase (but those are nice, looks like we PLANNED to put them there haha). And seriously, I have no idea what paleo means either!

Thank you Jolina! Yay for Team Dawn and big ol’ high five to ya! You’re sweet 🙂 Semi-nasty comment? That sucks!! Let it roll off your back. Ain’t nobody got time for that, right 😉 ? And, yes, totally got to laugh about it!! Glad to know you don’t know what paleo is either. I tried to figure it out one time and then just gave up, lol 😀 As long as the food tastes good! P.S. So funny about your dishes, but I totally hear ya!

16. Sues says:

Love this post so much!! I was just telling my husband, “can you believe I work with people who don’t own their own computer??” like they have a work computer and that’s it! He said that’s actually common. I was like “you mean, not everyone comes home from work and is instantly glued to a computer again?!” Mind blown.

And yes, tacos are soooo tough without something to hold them. And sooo many dishes. And duds. But winners, too!!
    Sues recently posted…Strawberry Vanilla Love Potion CocktailMy Profile

17. Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says:

Hahahaha. Well your list made me LOL, say, “uhh huh. I HEAR ya, girl”, and snort while laughing. 😉 So I’d say I found it very entertaining. A few things, I’m STILL not tech savvy, or social media savvy, and don’t get me started on food lingo. You notice I never tag anything ‘paleo’ or crap like that? It’s because I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. That shh goes right over this blonde little head of mine. If you ever figure it out, do share!!!!!! 😉 Love this post! Thanks for the laughs! xoxo
    Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary recently posted…Chicken Apple Sausage Quick CassouletMy Profile

Haha! Well, I’m very happy to hear that, Cheyanne 🙂 !! It’s definitely good to know I’m not the only one who don’t understand a lot of the food lingo. I don’t know if I ever will…hard to keep up with it all! Goes right over my head too, girlie! Thanks for the sweet comment and pleased to give ya a little laugh 😉 XOXO

18. Natasha @ Salt & Lavender says:

I could’ve written this! I agree with it all! And #17 is something I’m still learning. Sometimes it’s so hard when you see people who have started at the same time as you having things go viral and you think you’re not good enough… or you compare yourself to someone who has been doing it 5x as long! I think the key is just continuing to plug away at it and over time you improve. I’m so impatient that I don’t always do that haha. Great post!
    Natasha @ Salt & Lavender recently posted…Spiralized Raw Beet Salad with Blood OrangesMy Profile

19. Jessica @ Citrus Blossom Bliss says:

As I read these, I LOLed a few times and also nodded in approval for all of them. You are so right about every. single. one. of them! Had I known what I was getting myself into, I probably wouldn’t have started blogging in the first place (okay, maybe I still would have…)

I am also a post-it note hoarder, note taker, list maker and can constantly be found in the kitchen. You can usually find me there whether or not I’m cooking…it’s my happy place. We feed our leftovers to my coworkers and they don’t seem to mind one bit 🙂

P.S. how have you only had Facebook for that long?! I’m coming up on having one for…10 years *shudder*. I will admit that social media and finding a consistent posting schedule are my downfalls. Here’s to hoping that we only get better this year 🙂
    Jessica @ Citrus Blossom Bliss recently posted…Baked Mac and Cheese Steak CasseroleMy Profile

So happy to give you a laugh, Jessica! I know what you mean….totally didn’t know what I was getting myself into – not at all! Such a learning curve! The kitchen is definitely my happy place too, especially when things go well. If I have duds, then I start to wonder, lol 😀 Haha….I know. I can’t believe I’ve went that long without Facebook either. When people asked if I had it and I said no, they would look at me like ‘where have you been 😀 ?’ Too funny. Cheers to a wicked year ahead, girl! Thanks so much!

20. Sarah @ Champagne Tastes says:

I don’t have any squirt bottles yet Dawn! But that’s so clever… lol. And oh the dishes.. I’m trying SO HARD not to hoard.. I’ve been using all white dishes for the most part, and that’s helping! I don’t have room for all this… and the poor hubs with his cold food (mine, I mean. Yours too. Lol). And I’m trying really hard to set ‘work hours’ and not answer comments etc at night or on weekends. It’s hard. Haha
    I loved this– its soooo true!

Haha! You couldn’t have nailed this one any better if you’d tried, Dawn. I agree with each and every thing on this list. I have more single plates than I know what to do with. Fortunately, we still have our ‘regular’ dinnerware…or else we’d be serving dinner on all sorts of mish-mash craziness! And don’t even get me started on leftovers. That’s a constant battle around here! I get rid of the sweet stuff at the curling club (during the winter), and then we manage to eat the savory stuff. I just have to strategically plan when to make things…and then strategically fit it all into the fridge like a game of tetris. Hah! Thank you so much for the laughs this morning, Dawn…I loved this post! 🙂
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Classic Chicken Pot PieMy Profile

Awesome! So happy to hear that, David! I really try, when buying plates (for the most part), to buy a set just so I get some sort of use out of them after, but then, of course, end up with more dishes than 2 people could possibly need, lol 😀 I definitely do find the leftover part rough. Appreciate the lovely comment, David!! Means a lot!

Preach!! This is a great post for anyone who enjoys to be entertained (which I hope is everyone) but as a food blogger I can so relate to everything! I laughed out loud when you talked about your first FG acceptance! I behaved in exactly the same way! So so funny! I always tell folks who ask about blogging, that I love the community of people as much as I love the creative (wish I could say the same for the tech stuff…getting there!)! Thanks for sharing and for always being a bright spot on my Monday morning! Have a great week, my friend! XOXO
    annie@ciaochowbambina recently posted…Eggs in PurgatoryMy Profile

Thank you Annie!! So happy to give you a chuckle….definitely doesn’t hurt, especially on Monday 😉 Funny thing about FG, isn’t it? So true about loving the community of people as much as the creative side of things. It’s definitely one of my favourite things. I’ve met some wonderful people through blogging…you included of course. Have a great week too, my friend! XOXO

YES, YES, YES! I completely, 100% agree with this list, and can probably add a million more things. Blogging is SUCH an adventure, sometimes good, sometimes not to good, but so fun, especially when it’s your passions! I have a MAJOR food prop collection going on. Like I have three huge shelves of props, and that’s not even all of it. Ooops! I’m just a little addicted to it lol. And yes to being social media savvy! While I’ve had fb for years, I typically don’t share on my personal page much anymore, but man, do I rack up page schedule, gotta keep up, right? 🙂 And I remember the first time my recipe got accepted to FG too, I thought I hit it big time! HAHA! Now, it’s definitely not like it used to be (same with the other food sites I submit to), but still fun to get accepted and see some traffic roll in. And a million times yes to not comparing yourself to others…something I still struggle with at times! And about the leftovers too…luckily my husband takes a lot to his work, or we give food away to family. Having a support system of bloggers is by far the best thing, too. I’ve learned SO much from my blogging friends and I wouldn’t be where I am today without them. Thanks for sharing this, Dawn! I feel like I cold probably write another three paragraphs in response to your post because blogging is my passion (and job!) but I’ll try to keep it short. Love everything your wrote here, and you said it so beautifully, too. Hope your week is off to a great start!
    Gayle @ Pumpkin ‘N Spice recently posted…Bacon and Egg Breakfast PizzaMy Profile

I am so delighted to read your comment, Gayle!! Put a big smile on my face! Thank you SO much! It’s so great talking about this kind of stuff with friends and fellow bloggers…all part of a big group with a shared passion. Like you said, there’s probably a million more things that could go on there, no doubt! Hope you have a wonderful week too, my friend 🙂