Monthy Favourites January 2017

Monthly Favourites January 2017 - girlheartfood.com

Monthly Favourites January 2017

Hi everyone!  Can you believe that we are over a month past Christmas?  Where did January fly?  Are you counting down the days until Spring?  Summer?  Looking at your warm weather wardrobe?  I may be just a tiny tiny bit, but can you blame me with all this cold weather we’ve been having?  We have been going through a super cold spurt – like minus 25 degrees with the wind chill.  I swear, I’m not built for this.  Bundle me up nice and warm, ya know?  On the positive side, at least with the cold weather we can stay inside all cozy and eat all the comfort food 🙂 Anyway, let’s get to it. Let’s have a look at what’s been going on around here this past month!

RECIPES I’VE POSTED THIS MONTH –

Red Lentil & Chickpea Soup

Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup - girlheartfood.com

Peanut Butter, Banana, Cocoa & Coffee Smoothie

Peanut Butter, Banana, Cocoa and Coffee Smoothie - girlheartfood.com

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup with Avocado Cilantro Crema

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup with Avocado Cilantro Crema - girlheartfood.com

FOOD & FOOD RELATED SHINNANIGANS –

Below are some delish recipes from friends and fellow food bloggers.  I’m diggin’ these recipes and I’m sure you will too!

Masala Chai Spiced Tea from Spiced (pictured below and photo credit).  I’m trying to reduce my coffee consumption….not all together, of course (I’m not that crazy), so this tea makes things a lot easier.  Plus, with all those warm spices like cinnamon and star anise, how could you possibly go wrong?Masala Chai Spiced Tea - spicedblog.com

Coconut Shrimp from Beyond the Chicken Coop (pictured below and photo credit).  Coconut shrimp are one of my all time favourite appies.  No joke.  Love them and if I see them on a menu anywhere, I have to order.  And you know anything homemade is that much better and this recipe just hits the spot!Coconut Shrimp - beyondthechickencoop.com

Roman Meatballs with Arrabbiata Sauce from Kevin is Cooking (pictured below and photo credit).  We made this.  Well, hubby did (shout out to hubby) and it was amaze balls <—-see what I did there 😀  Seriously, though,  you need to try this recipe.  Soooo good!  And even better with wine, but you already knew I was gonna say that, didn’t you 😉 ?  And bonus points for hubby, he made homemade pasta to go along with!

TV SHOWS

Cristela Alonzo’s comedy special on Netflix called Lower Classy.  I first saw her doing an interview on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and she is one funny chick.  She was promoting her comedy special, so hubby and I checked it out and laughed our little buns off!

Taboo on FX.   It’s a 8 episode mini series based in the 1800s and starring Tom Hardy. It is so interesting.  I was sad to discover it’s only a mini series, but definitely worth watching.

Have you guys seen The Secret Life of Pets?  Ok, it’s a cartoon, of course, and I am a huge animal lover and proud fur baby momma, so I adored this movie.  Hubby and I watched it one weekend and it was such an entertaining, cute movie.   Highly recommend this one.

MUSIC –

I’ve mentioned my love for Elle King’s music before. I’ve heard a couple of her songs and really enjoy both of them.  I was gifted her record  Love Stuff for Christmas and have been playing the whole thing non stop.  I love all the songs, but I think my favourite is actually a non main stream one – ‘I Told You I was Mean.’

Shape of You‘ by Ed Sheeran – once again, Ed Sheeran hits a home run.  Great song!

HandClap‘ by Fitz and the Tantrums.  If this don’t help ya get your groove on, I don’t know what will?  It’s hard not to move, when you listen to this one!

RANDOM –

So, you know that I’m often talking about what a unique place Newfoundland is?  Well, I came across something.  We actually made it on a National Geographic list –  Canada’s 50 Places of a Lifetime.  Generally speaking, they mentioned the coast of Newfoundland & Labrador, but also  Fogo Island,  which is an area in our province (like a State in the U.S.).  How cool is that?  And just check out The Fogo Island Inn.  This is nothing short of amazing!  Talk about getting away from it all!  Absolutely breathtaking, isn’t it?

Hope you’ve enjoyed my Monthly Favourites January 2017.  Do you have any favourites that you came across this past month?  I’d love to hear about ’em!  Drop me a line below!

Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂

P.S.  If you missed my last Monthly Favourites, you can check it out here!

24 thoughts on “Monthy Favourites January 2017

Thanks Tracy! Taboo is awesome. We had an episode recorded and watched last night. Soon over 🙁 I know..than inn, right? How could you not relax there?! Hope you’re having an awesome weekend!!

1. Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table says:

I am totally gonna go check out the comedy show – sounds like a perfect way to spend a weeknight night after the kiddos are in bed 🙂 Also, how cool that you live somewhere that people are dying to go visit! Sorry about the cold though… I am all about the warmth myself so I feel ya on needing some extra sweaters and blankets. Brrr – bundle up! Hope you have a cozy, relaxing weekend! XO
    Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table recently posted…Slow cooker Thai porkMy Profile

Hello Dawn! No, I cannot believe we’re almost into mid-Feb. What what. We have yet to try your black bean and sweet potato soup (I’ve been bugging Red about it) but it’s definitely gonna get done. It’s -19C as I’m writing this so perfect soup weather…needless to say I’m really looking forward to summer (I’m OK with skipping spring!). That’s such a wonderful list you linked. I haven’t been to even a third of those places! What a beautiful country eh? 🙂 Have a lovely day!

Hey Jolina! I can’t believe it either! I certainly hope you do get a chance to try the soup and you love it 🙂 Yes, bring on Summer!! It definitely is a beautiful country! Watching TWD this weekend, I presume 😉 I know I am!

3. Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says:

I’m really looking forward to spring.. not because it’s been cold here, but because I just love all the colorful produce and food. Makes my heart sing, ya know? We have been watching Taboo!!!! We really like it, but I’m with you, sad it’s just a mini series. Have you seen The Night Manager yet? Another mini series, but its AMAZING. DO IT! 😉 You had a really tasty month, Dawn! Can’t wait to see what you make this month! Cheers!
    Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary recently posted…Goat Cheese & Red Pepper Baked Risotto with ShrimpMy Profile

4. Kevin | Keviniscooking says:

I know we’ve talked about Elle King previously, but I really think you’d like Halsey if Elle is to your liking. Found her on Spotify while editing photos. Love her, where have I been?

I was dying to see Tom Hardy in Taboo and was super bummed to know it was mini series, too. He is such a great actor, loves him. Another new one I love is Bosch, check it. Gritty cop drama.

I could go for each and every treat you featured here (thanks for the inclusion) and I wish we were neighbors, would have loved your hubby’s fresh pasta! Cheers my dear and stay warm. Have some of Dave’s chai and relax with you fur legged buddy.
    Kevin | Keviniscooking recently posted…Cheese Crusted Baked ZitiMy Profile

I’ll have to check out Halsey then!! Twist my arm 😉 Bosch? Haven’t heard of it, but I will check that out too. Happy to include your recipe, Kevin, and would happily share pasta with you if we were neighbours. I see some more in our future this weekend…the cold weather calls for it 😉

5. Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop says:

One day I will visit Newfoundland! In the meanwhile, I’d better find that National Geographic and read what they’ve highlighted! Thanks for sharing Coconut Shrimp! It’s one of my favorites too!!! I’m hoping February passes quickly straight into May! Our winter has been crazy and I’m ready for the snow to melt away! 🙂

I love your monthly favorites, Dawn! Not only do I get to see all of the tasty dishes in a recap, but I love the tv shows you include here. You seriously have given the best recommendations on shows! We’re always a couple months behind thanks to a certain toddler…but we do make our way there eventually. So thanks for that! Stay warm, my friend…summer is coming! Or you could look at it like Christmas 2017 is one month closer! 🙂
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Healthy Spinach Artichoke SoupMy Profile

Yay for your monthly favorites! I always look forward to reading these. I can’t believe January has already passed us by! I’m hoping February does the same, because I don’t really like the winter months. All of your recipes look SO good, especially that coffee smoothie…on my list to make now that I have a new blender! 🙂 I’ve never seen Taboo, but I have heard that it’s a good show, so i will have to check it out. I’m hooked on This is Us…have you seen it? SOOO good! Ok and now I think I need to take a trip to the Fogo Island Inn…how GORGEOUS is that?!So pretty, Dawn! And so neat that your area made it on the list! Thanks for sharing and hope you have a fantastic weekend!
    Gayle @ Pumpkin ‘N Spice recently posted…Cake Batter Overnight OatsMy Profile

You always have the sweetest comments, Gayle! Yay for your new blender…I’m on the look out for one; ours is slowly on its way out. Love to hear what kind you got!! I definitely have to check out This is Us. My sister in law loves that one too! That Inn is totally gorgeous, isn’t it? That view is amazing! Have a fantastic weekend too, my friend! Stay warm!