Monthly Favourites February 2017

Monthly Favourites February 2017 - girlheartfood.com

Monthly Favourites February 2017

We are that much closer to spring, you guys.  Can you just feel it?  Smell it in the air?  Bring it on, I say.  February was a pretty tasty month.  There was lots of snow ’round here and mother nature was pretty rough on us, but that meant more time inside ‘practicing’ some recipes.  Yeah, that’s what I’ll call it.  Any excuse to eat something good, right?  Hehehe.   Anyway, let’s get to it. Let’s check out what’s been happening around these parts, shall we?

THINGS I’VE POSTED THIS MONTH –

Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Raspberries & White Chocolate Drizzle –

Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Raspberries and White Chocolate Drizzle - girlheartfood.com

Teff Energy Bars –

Teff Energy Bars {gluten free & whole grain} - girlheartfood.com

Things I’ve Learned Being a Food Blogger –

Things I've Learned Being a Food Blogger {the good, the bad & the funny} - girlheartfood.com

Spinach Artichoke Dip –

Spinach Artichoke Dip - girlheartfood.com

Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Nutella –

Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Nutella - girlheartfood.com

FOOD & FOOD RELATED SHINANIGANS –

There’s been so much yummy things happening lately, but here are a couple of recipes from fellow food blogger friends that I know you’re gonna love!

Small Batch Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls with Espresso Glaze from Baking Mischief (pictured below and photo credit). I mean, just look.  Have you got all kinds of hearts in your eyes just staring at these?  And that espresso glaze?  Um, yes please.  How deadly would these be with your morning coffee fresh out of the oven?

Curried Wild Rice Salad with Raisins and Pecans from Family Food on the Table (pictured below and photo credit) –  If you have been reading this blog for a while now you know I love sweet/savoury or sweet/salty combos.  Loves it, I do.  So this recipe with the curry and sweet raisins is totally calling my name.  I could face plant right into that big bowl of rice.  For reals.  This would be amazing on its own, and perfect for weekday lunches, but how awesome with chicken or fish for a filling dinner?

Curried Wild Rice Salad with Raisins and Pecans - familyfoodonthetable.com

Hubby and I checked out a new restaurant recently – The Brasserie.  It’s bistro French inspired and it’s deadly.   Check out their website here.  The steak entrée was a little big for me, so I wish it was available in a smaller size.  But, it was absolutely delish, none the less.   And the compound butter on that😋? Apparently, there’s over twenty ingredients in there!  What?!  I dunno.  I just know that it was GOOD!  Making a trip back there soon.  I was thistemped to try duck (not a fan), and didn’t want to first time ’round.  Next time, duck, I’m coming for you 👊

Are you not feeling 100% because of this cold/flu filled winter weather😷 ?  Some friends and fellow food bloggers have some awesome recipes that might make you feel a little better –

Homemade Elderberry Cough Drops from Tasty Ever After.  3 ingredients.  All stuff you can pronounce👍  Plus, they look PERFECT; like little jewels💎I’m sure these would be lovely cold or no cold.

Recipes to Feed a Cold from Champagne Tastes.  Sarah has compiled a bunch of ‘feel better’ recipes…lots of soups, in particular.  Plus, they all look so darn tasty!

How to Make Fresh Lemon Ginger Tea from The Unlikely Baker.  Warm ya right up🍋 Possibly add a little bourbon for a hot toddy?  Just sayin’ 😏

Just recently a new season of Chef’s Table was released on Netflix.  All in all, it hasn’t been my favourite season, but there were two standout episodes for me – the episode with Nancy Silverton and the one with Ivan Orkin.  The episode with Nancy Silverton is primarily about bread.  Just listening to her talk about it and make it, makes me want to get in the kitchen ASAP and get baking and if I were ever in Los Angeles I would make a visit to her restaurant.  The passion she emotes is unreal.  The episode with Ivan Orkin is mainly about ramen and girl loves her some ramen.  Plus, he is kinda a funny guy so it was quite the entertaining episode.  And, p.s., you’re gonna wanna have some ramen handy when you finish this episode 😉

Oh, and though it’s been released a while, we started Chef’s Table France.  It is all in subtitles, but a deadly season.

While we are still talking about Netflix (because that is apparently all I’m watching lately), there’s a new series on there with Eric Ripert, you know, the French chef, titled Avec Eric  You may have also seen him appearing on Anthony Bourdain’s show on CNN Part’s Unknown (which I also highly recommend).  Eric travels all over the world and each episode consists of him visiting a place and then, at the end, he prepares a dish based on his experience.  The website featuring info on the series (and recipes) and be found here.

The Mind of a Chef season 4 is now on Netflix.  Anthony Bourdain narrates the season.  There is this one chef, Gabrielle Hamilton, who does not waste food.  It’s so easy to use the best ingredients there is, but another thing to use the lesser desirable ingredients or products that are not quite perfect,  ya know?  Very inspiring.  Running her restaurant, she has the mentality that guests need to feel like  they are getting something elaborate, but, really, behind the scenes being frugal and making the very very most of everything.  And it definitely takes talent to do that.  That’s just one part of her story.  There’s parts of the season with her visiting Italy too. OMG.  No words.  And I found out she has a book (Blood, Bones and Butter:  The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef) which I have to get.  Such a relatable, genuine person.  Don’t miss this season, you guys.

I guess I’ve had food on my mind this past month….what’s new 😳🍴?

Oh, a for those of you not into food, The Walking Dead just started again on AMC.  You know, zombies and all that good stuff💀 Any of you guys die hard fans?

MUSIC –

Missy Elliot has a new song/video out🎶.  It’s Missy Elliot ft. Lamb and it’s called ‘I’m Better.’  I love all types of music and mostly listen to more laid back stuff these days, but I loves me some Missy.  And her videos are ALWAYS entertaining.  Check out her latest here.  P.S.  Do you remember the movie The 40 Year Old Virgin?  Remember when Steve Carell’s character gets in the car with Leslie Mann’s character who was a lot drunk?  Remember when that Missy Elliot song, ‘Get Ur Freak On’ played and she started singing it?  I laugh my little buns off!  Every time I hear that song I think of that movie.

RANDOM –

I wear crazy socks all the time, especially on the weekend, and mostly of food.  I need these taco socks in my life, like, asap.

And check out the new shoes——->  Itching to break these out soon!!! Side note—-> I may or may not have a shoe addiction 👠😐

Monthly Favourites February 2017 - girlheartfood.com

Some of you may know that furry child’s b-day was this past month (on Valentine’s Day) so you know that he was spoiled rotten❤️ He has a hard life, ya know #sarcastic.  Hubby made him a little birthday hat.  It was a small miracle I got that pic, lol 😀

Monthly Favourites February 2017 - girlheartfood.com

I got a new donut pan!! Woot woot!  Stay tuned for an upcoming donut recipe, you guys 🍩
P.S. I got the one for 6 donuts instead of 12……I don’t need that kind of temptation in my life….hehehe!!

So, I came across a cool little piece of info in the latest Food Network Magazine the other day.  So, researchers studied a village in Italy where 1 in 10 people in live past 100🇮🇹  What😮 ?  The people were known to eat rosemary almost every day, or even chew it! Among other things, they were known to have fewer incidents of heart disease. That’s so awesomely crazy, right?  And, then again, personal opinion, maybe it’s the gorgeous scenery and the wine🍷  Wine definitely has got to have something to do with it, right😁??

Hope you’ve enjoy my Monthly Favourites February 2017.  Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂

P.S. If you missed my last monthly favourites, you can check it out here.

44 thoughts on “Monthly Favourites February 2017

1. karrie @ Tasty Ever After says:

I just realized today that I never commented on your post! I suck! Love all your recipes and others (thanks for including my cough drops) 🙂 and I know what kind of donuts you made with your new pan!!! Love those taco socks but like my shark socks better. heeheehee I
    p.s. Me and J will retire and live in Italy with you and Mr. B if you guys want too. We can eat lots of pasta and pizza with our rosemary and wine.
    p.s.s. happy birthday again to furry little cutie patootie 😉
    karrie @ Tasty Ever After recently posted…Slow Cooker ColcannonMy Profile

That’s ok, girlie, and happy to include your cough drops…and happy you are feeling better! Thank you and those donuts are coming soon 😉 Might even make another batch this weekend! Yay for your shark socks! Little furry child says thank you 😉
      I’ve never been so serious in my life when I say that we would totally retire to Italy with you guys. For reals! What a dream!! Can you even imagine??? XOXO

2. Miriam - londonkitchendiaries.com says:

Can’t wait for spring either – the cherry blossom tree in front of my kitchen window is about to blossom which is very exciting 🙂 I love reading your monthly round-ups, the list of recipes and what you have been up to. The picture of furry child with his Birthday hat is adorable! Thanks for the great tips on what’s on at Netflix – I have not even started watching Chef’s Table and Avec Eric sounds like something fun to watch as well.
    Miriam – londonkitchendiaries.com recently posted…10 Amazing Things to do in Cape TownMy Profile

3. Tracy | Baking Mischief says:

Thanks for including my chocolate rolls!

You know I love your monthly round ups. Your little guy looks so cute in his birthday hat, and love the new shoes. I can tell you are looking forward to spring. 😉 Can’t wait to see the donut recipe you have cooking!
    Tracy | Baking Mischief recently posted…Hawaiian Naan PizzaMy Profile

4. Cindy says:

Geeze. I am sort of begging February to come back (then you can have 2 fury baby birthdays). Like a numnut, I signed up for a triathlon that is in April and I so I am holding on fast to everyday that I can train. Yousa. Love your reflection piece, keep ’em coming, especially the mind of a chef tidbit!

Looks like you had a very delicious February! You know I’m still crushing on those lemon cupcakes 🙂 And yes, spring! We had a preview last week but dang it cold weather is back. Oh well. I’m sure we’re going to complain about how hot it is soon enough LOL! Thanks for featuring my lemon tea. Hot toddy sounds pretty amazing right about now! (PS: I missed the whole Oscars best picture fiasco because I was watching TWD. I regret nothing hahaha)

My pleasure, Jolina! I didn’t watch the Oscars either, nor did I watch TWD (saving for Friday). I spent my night watching foodie shows on Netflix – story of my life, lol 😀 Thanks so much, girl!

6. Marissa says:

My goodness, what a lineup of great recipes and notes!! I have to tell you that you MUST read Blood, Bones and Butter – it’s one of my favorite books of all time. No joke, read Anthony Bourdain’s review of the book at Amazon and you’ll buy it immediatley. 🙂
    Marissa recently posted…Lamb RagùMy Profile

7. Sarah @ Champagne Tastes says:

Oh! I was going to tell you that I’ve been watching Chef’s Table Season 3 too- and that episode with Nancy Silverman was the BEST.. I was like drooling at the t.v. lol. And I’ve been putting off watching the France one or any of the subtitled regular ones because.. subtitles.. LOL. I usually have the tv on while I do other things. One day I’ll watch those!
    Sarah @ Champagne Tastes recently posted…Slow Cooker Vegetable MasalaMy Profile

YES!! Right? OMG, when we watched that episode I wanted to make bread. I was just glued to the screen while we were watching it. So inspiring and makes me want to get better at bread making. I can understand your reservations about the Chef’s Table France one with subtitles, but it is really good. Maybe if you sit down with a cocktail or glass of wine, you can just chill and watch it 😉 Thanks Sarah!

8. Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says:

Love all your monthly favorites posts, Dawn! It’s always fun to see what you’ve been up to, round-up style! All your food was super tasty, but those cupcakes are still calling my name! I have yet to see Chef’s Table, but it’s been in my Netflix list for a hot minute… you totally reminded me I actually need to watch it! We had ZERO snow here this past month, so I hope you enjoyed all the snow for me! And YES, I am SUPER excited for spring!!!!!! Wahoo! Hope you have a great day, lovely! xo
    P.s. LOVE your shoes! I have a small shoe problem as well! <3
    Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary recently posted…Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Noodle SoupMy Profile

Thank you very much, Cheyanne!! Always a good time for a cupcake, I say 😉 You have GOT to watch Chef’s Table – you’ll love it and it’ll make you super hungry, but you’ll be so inspired to get in the kitchen and get at it. Me and hubby were watching The Mind of a Chef Last Night and we already have things in mind we want to try this weekend and it’s only Monday, lol 😀 So jelly of your NO show this past month…what?! Last year in April we had a huge dump of it so hopefully none this year…fingers crossed. Thanks for the shoe love…can’ wait to wear those light pink open toe booties. They’ve been on my mind since I got ’em…hehehe. Have a great week, sweets! xo

I can barely read this post with all the hearts in my eyes! Well you had a delicious February! I can’t decide my favorite recipe…impossible, really! I will say, though – those shoes at the end….ugh! I am ready for pretty springtime shoes! I may have a bit of an addiction, too! 😉 Thanks for being a bright spot in my day!! Have a great week, my friend! xoxo
    annie@ciaochowbambina recently posted…Veal with Fresh Herbs & LemonMy Profile

10. Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says:

That was lovely to read, Dawn! I am in love with your furry baby, your shoes, and your cupcakes! Plus, the spinach dip, the banana bread with Nutella, and Karrie’s cough drop! And….well, everything you just wrote. We need to get Netflix in our lives, have to tell hubby!! Glad that February treated you well, it wasn’t bad for us either. Spring is coming and I am soooo happy!! Have a wonderful start of the week! P.s. my grandpa is 96 and my grandma when she passed away, was 98, those Italians, eh?!?
    Nicoletta @sugarlovespices recently posted…Gianduja CreamMy Profile

Thank you Nicoletta!! Sweet of you to say 🙂 You definitely need Netflix…there’s so many good food shows on there, but, fair warning, they will make you hungry 😉 Wow! 96 and 98 ? That’s awesome! Happy Monday, my friend!

11. Michelle | The Secret Ingredient Is says:

Love reading your monthly round ups Dawn! It’s so hard to believe that it’s already March – it’s flying by so fast. I need to start watching Mind of a Chef – I absolutely love Anthony Bourdain, so I know I’ll love it. Your new shoe collection looks like mine! I just bought 4 pairs in the last 2 weeks, whoopsies!! Can’t wait to see the donut recipe 🙂 Cheers!
    Michelle | The Secret Ingredient Is recently posted…Blueberry Oat Blender MuffinsMy Profile

Thank you so much, Michelle! You will love Mind of a Chef, I’m sure. Once you start, it’s hard to stop! Yay for new shoes!! Can’t wait ’til the weather warms up to break mine out 🙂 Have a fab week!

12. Shashi at RunninSrilankan says:

Dawn, this is my first time reading one of your monthly favorites posts and am so loving all this jimble jumble of info! I gotta say I need to come by and read these every month as you have some new Netflix shows for me to check out. Usually I end up watching series my daughter suggests – now I have some to suggest myself – I’v so gotta check out The Chefs Table and the Mind of a Chef! Happiest of (belated) birthdays to your fur baby – that hat is adorable and wow, am impressed y’all got it to stay on for the pic – my dogs are fur houdini’s when it comes to us dressing them up – they can wriggle out of something no matter how securely we fasten it on! Cannot wait to see your donut recipe – I have a 6 donut pan for the same reason that you have yours too! Happy Monday friend – hope your week is off to a wonderful start!
    Shashi at RunninSrilankan recently posted…Buckwheat Banana Mini Bundt CakesMy Profile

Thank you Shashi!! Happy you like this post 🙂 ! Those Netflix shows are so good, but you may wanna grab a little snack ’cause they make you hungry 🙂 Thanks for the birthday wishes to fur baby. I had 2 seconds to take that pic before he shook the hat off his head. He is usually pretty good with sweaters, though, so I have LOTS of fun with that 😀 Happy Monday, my friend!

I always love reading your monthly favorites, Dawn! February sure did fly by fast, but I’m anxious to move on because I don’t like winter and need some warmer weather! 🙂 You’ve made some delicious recipes this month! I seriously need to try them ALL, especially that peanut butter banana bread with nutella…swoon! I will have to check into that MIssy Elliot song! I didn’t know she came out with a new one, and I do love her…brings me back to my younger days! 🙂 And your fur baby is just the cutest, but I think you knew that! 🙂 And I hear ya, I have a major shoe (and purse) obsession. I easily have at least 75 pairs of shoes, maybe more, and that was getting rid of some last fall. But, shoes are never a bad thing, right?! Hope you have a great week, friend!
    Gayle @ Pumpkin ‘N Spice recently posted…Meal for One: Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked PotatoesMy Profile

Thank you Gayle!! I know, right? Listening to Missy Elliot is such a throwback for sure! Oh, I definitely have a purse obsession too….and scented candle obsession. Oh my! And shoes are definitely never a bad thing….you need to have options 😉 Thanks for the fur baby love. Have a great week too, my friend!

Where did February go? Gosh! But I can’t complain because it means Spring is that much closer. We had a total teaser of Spring weather here lately…but we’re back into cold weather now. And it’s just made me that much more ready for Spring…and that much more homesick for the South! 🙂 So Chef’s Table. Laura and I finally checked that one out…we watched the episode on Massimo Bottura…guess it was the series premier. Fun show! It also made us want to eat lots of Italian food…but then again, that’s nothing new! I need to watch that episode on bread now. Yum!! Happy belated birthday to your furry friend, and here’s to chewing rosemary! (Ok, I’ve never actually done that…but I may or may not do the wine strategy. Haha!)
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Lasagna SoupMy Profile

So true, David! Watching Chef’s Table makes you want to cook and eat, that’s for sure! You may wanna have a snack handy, lol 😀 Thanks for the birthday wishes for fur baby 🙂 I think the wine strategy is definitely the way to go…hehehe. Thanks so much!