Monthly Favourites December 2016

Monthly Favourites December 2016 - girlheartfood.com

Monthly Favourites December 2016

Hi everyone!  How has the holidays been going for you so far?  Lots of good eats &  drinks with  family and friends?  I sure hope so!  I’ve been eating my way through the holidays….lots of time for healthier stuff in the new year, right?  For now, bring on all the chocolate, cookies, turkey and cheese plates ’cause girl be hungry (except for the day after Christmas Day!)  I was so full that I’m only eating 3 days later!  Haha!  Just kiddin’, but, boy, was I stuffed! How could I resist my momma’s cooking?  Impossible!  And have you been wearing your Santa hat, onesie and Christmas socks all through the season like me?  Um, no?  Yeah, yeah, I don’t do that 😉 #Itotallydo.  Anyway, let’s get to it. Let’s have a look at what’s been going on around here this past month, shall we?

RECIPES I’VE POSTED THIS MONTH –

Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate and Candy Cane

Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate and Candy Cane - girlheartfood.com

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with Dark Chocolate, Cranberries & Walnuts

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with Dark Chocolate, Cranberries and Walnuts - girlheartfood.com

White Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Whipped Cream

White Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Whipped Cream - girlheartfood.com

FOOD & FOOD RELATED SHINANIGANS –

During the holidays you typically see some new products out for a limited time.  So I came across a Peppermint vodka from Smirnoff a few weeks before Christmas and grabbed myself some.  Super minty.  Funny thing, too, is that the label is scented!

I’ve tried it with club soda and a candy cane for garnish and it is yummy!  I bet it’s awesome in hot chocolate too!

Monthly Favourites December 2016 - girlheartfood.com

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, then there’s no surprise that I love sweet/savoury or sweet/salty combos.  So, when I saw these dark chocolate sea salt caramels at Costco before Christmas, I had to get them!  Yeah, twist my arm 😜
Monthly Favourites December 2016 - girlheartfood.com

Below are some delicious recipes from friends and fellow food bloggers that are perfect for the holiday season.  I’m sure you will enjoy ’em as much as I do!

Nutella Hot Cocoa from The Beach House Kitchen (pictured below & photo credit).  How perfect is this for Christmas?  I can see myself with a big cup of this sitting under the tree….extra marshmallows for me, please 🙂 !

Nutella Hot Cocoa - The Beach House Kitchen

Easy Microwave Baked Brie with Apricots and Bacon from Family Food on the Table (pictured below and photo credit).  Brie.  Loves it, I do.  And this is just the absolute perfect app that can be pulled together in no time whenever you have unexpected guests this holiday season.  It tastes amaaazing and looks like you’ve spent all day making something delicious. Who would even guess that it took you minutes?  And who is gonna care when it tastes this good??

Easy Microwave Baked Brie with Apricots and Bacon - Family Food on the Table

Grinch Sugar Cookies from Tasty Ever After (pictured below and photo credit).  So pretty and festive!  So we’ve passed the day that these have to be left out for Santa.  So, you know what that means?  More for you 👍🍪
Grinch Sugar Cookies - Tasty Ever After

Winter Sunset Cocktail from Ciao Chow Bambina (pictured below & photo credit). Tis the season, right?  I love grapefruit and especially in a cocktail.  This one is just a perfect celebratory drink.  Plus, there’s no better way to look at the snow outside than with one of these beauties in hand☀️
Winter Sunset Cocktail - Ciao Chow Bambina

Cranberry Brie Bites from Pumpkin-n-Spice (pictured below & photo credit).  After Christmas Day, the majority of meals that hubby and I have are bits and bites.  I don’t feel in the mood for a big meal.  Well, that’s the case most times;  I always feel like a lot of smaller bites than one big meal.  Are you the same?  The colours of this one are vibrant and the flavour is amazing!  Plus, it’s a fantastic way to use up any leftover cranberry sauce you have!

Cranberry Brie Bites - Pumpkin-n-Spice

TV SHOWS/BOOKS

One of my New Year’s Resolutions last year was to read more.  Though, I haven’t read as much as I would have liked, it definitely has increased.  This year will be no different.  Hubby gave me a fiction novel which I’m really enjoying; it’s called In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware.  It indicates on the cover to  ‘prepare to be scared…really scared!’ But, I wouldn’t say that it is very scary…for me, anyway.  It’s a murder mystery and a very quick read.  Lovin’ the book so far and it’s the author’s debut book so I will keep an eye out for any more books that she has coming out.

Something I’m super excited about is  Jamie Oliver’s Christmas Cookbook.  Hubby gave it to me for Christmas. If you are a fan of Jamie Oliver’s Christmas specials, then you are gonna love this book.  It is a compilation of a bunch of recipes from those shows and it is awesome.  Of course, the recipes are totally useable outside of Christmas and there are lots of good eats in there.  Can’t wait to give it a go!

Since it is Christmas, I figured I would share some of my absolute favourite movies that I have to watch over the holidays.  I’m sure some of these make your list too 😉

• ‘Elf’
  • ‘The Grinch’
  • ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’
  • ‘A Christmas Story’
  • ‘Christmas Vacation’
  • ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’
  • ‘Frosty the Snowman’
  • ‘Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer’

MUSIC –

‘Love on the Brain’ by Rihanna.  I absolutely love this song!  It has such an old school vibe and it definitely is one that I turn up in the car. It’s so much different from Rihanna’s previous music and I certainly hope to hear more like this.

Because it’s the holiday season, there’s a few albums & songs that I particularly love to listen to –

Michael Bublés  ‘Christmas’

A Charlie Brown Christmas – the album

Frank Sinatra ‘Christmas Songs’ album

Gayla Peevey ‘I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas’

The Chipmunks ‘The Christmas Song (Christmas Don’t be Late)’

What are some of your faves?

RANDOM –

So, what are your guys plans for New Year’s Eve?  Hubby and I have went out in the past, but in recent years we would much rather stay home and cook something delicious, have a couple of celebratory drinks and stay with furry child.  We actually love it!  We typically go out during the day for a light lunch, pick up anything we need for the evening and then head home.  There’s usually someone having fireworks nearby, weather permitting, and we go on our back step and check that out.  Wouldn’t have it any other way!  How about you guys?  What do you typically do to celebrate?

Typically, every year my parents give furry child a Christmas outfit (think Ralphie in ‘A Christmas Story’ wearing  his bunny suit that his aunt gives him….too cute!)  So, here’s our little guy with a snowman suit on.  He looks so impressed, doesn’t he 😂🐶?

Monthly Favourites December 2016- girlheartfood.com

Hope you’ve enjoyed my Monthly Favourites December 2016!  Until next time, take care and chit chat in 2017 🙂 !

37 thoughts on “Monthly Favourites December 2016

Same here, Miriam! Indulging is definitely a part of the holidays 😉 That movie is go great, isn’t it? Glad to hear you had a lovely Christmas too 🙂 Thanks so much!

1. Sarah @ Champagne Tastes says:

That Smirnoff has a scented label?!?! I love that.. it makes me want to run out and buy it lololol.
    Your cookies looked fab this month too! (And omg- nutella hot chocolate sounds amaaaaazing)
    Have fun reading! I’ll have to check that book out. I just finished reading ‘Wild” and now I think I need to go hike up the West coast. Someone should stop me hahaha. (Really.. stop me!)
    Sarah @ Champagne Tastes recently posted…Cream of Mushroom Soup with AsparagusMy Profile

2. Sarah @ Champagne Tastes says:

3. Natasha @ Salt & Lavender says:

I definitely agree on Elf for Xmas movies 🙂 We love Die Hard and the Home Alone movies too. It’s not Christmas without them. 🙂 We do burgers for NYE and drive around looking at the pretty Christmas lights. Sounds weird, but I prefer it to getting ripped off at crowded fancy restaurants, you know? We’re pretty low key haha.
    Natasha @ Salt & Lavender recently posted…Orange Spiked Boozy Hot ChocolateMy Profile

4. Tracy | Baking Mischief says:

OMG, Dawn, your furry child is so tolerant. His little nose sticking out under the snowman’s nose is just too cute! Sounds like you had a tasty Christmas (the best kind 😉 ).

Love your recipe picks this month. I saw those Grinch cookies on Facebook last week and was just completely charmed. Hope you have a great New Year!
    Tracy | Baking Mischief recently posted…Easy Mini Chocolate Sheet CakeMy Profile

Thanks Tracy! Furry child has patience…..but only sometimes 😉 When he was a puppy, I couldn’t get him to wear clothes and now he doesn’t mind at all! Happy New Year, my friend!!

Oh that dog sweater is amazing! I love it! Speaking of ridiculous clothing, I have totally been sporting the onesie during the holidays. I actually have 3 different onesies…wow, that’s kinda sad. But they’ve been getting a ton of use by the fireplace during the last week. 🙂 As far as New Year’s Eve, we always play it low-key. Now that we have Robbie, we kinda have to be low-key since he goes to bed around 7:30ish. But our tradition is to make homemade pizza and just hang out watching college football and then a little bit of the New Year’s Eve tv special. We might or might not actually make it to midnight…and I’m ok with that! Speaking of New Year’s Eve, I hope you and hubbie (and the pup) have an awesome New Year’s Eve! 🙂 Cheers, Dawn!
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Spaghetti with White Wine Garlic SauceMy Profile

Thanks David! OMG! 3 onesies? That’s PERFECT! It’s good to have onesie options, ya know 😉 Low key is always the best, in my opinion, especially when it involves homemade pizza! Hope you guys have a wonderful, relaxing New Year’s Eve, my friend 🙂

6. karrie @ Tasty Ever After says:

I know how much you ate over the Christmas holiday, girl! lol! I haven’t picked up that vodka yet but going to the liquor store Friday so will look for it then. I didn’t know the bottle was scented too 🙂
    Loving this roundup and all these recipes (thanks so much for including my cookie recipe). This is the one year I didn’t make any kind of Christmas sugar cookie and I’m so ashamed. I may have to make a batch this week before the January 2 diet starts. heeheehee
    By the way, give that cute lii’ snowman a kiss for me please 😉
    karrie @ Tasty Ever After recently posted…Pistachio and Fig Sesame BiscottiMy Profile

I know you do 😉 And it continues, lol 😀 No prob on including your cookie recipe…they’re too cute! No sugar cookies? Girl! Not too late….never too late for cookies 😉 I will definitely give lil’ snowman a kiss for ya! Thanks gf! Love ya! XO

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Dawn! I also ate WAY too much, and will probably continue to do so through New Year’s haha…then I’ll start my good habits on the 2nd! 🙂 Sounds like you have a relaxing New Year’s planned! We’re usually low key too, we’re going out to dinner with some friends and then back to our house for some drinks and to hang out. I LOVE your monthly favorites, as always! Ok, I’m on the hunt for that Smirnoff! My husband and I are going to the liquor store tomorrow night to stock up on some things for New Year’s Eve, so I’m going to find that! 🙂 And your dog is just the CUTEST! Thanks so much for including my appetizer bites, Dawn! I hope you have a great rest of the week and a very Happy New Year!

Thanks Gayle! We certainly did! I’m with you….let the eating continue 😉 It’s definitely a big part of the holidays and I love it! Good luck on finding the Smirnoff…I know you’ll love it! Let me know if you find 🙂 My pleasure on including your appetizer bites! Great recipe!! Hope you guys have a lovely New Year’s Eve!

So many incredible eats this month! I need to get on that white hot chocolate ASAP! I think I’m still full from Christmas I can only handle drinks for now lol. NYE is always fun though. It’s more drinks than food is what I noticed haha. One year we decided to attend this ridiculous party (i.e. full of teenagers) and boy did we feel old! These days a bottle of wine and good food would make us happy. You got yourself a very cute snowman over there 🙂 Have a lovely NYE Dawn!

9. Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table says:

So many good eats this month – and some yummy things to get excited about in 2017! (And thanks for including my “baked” brie appetizer!) I love your list of Christmas movies and songs – you definitely got some of my very favorites! We stay in for New Year’s Eve since the little ones are upstairs sleeping and it’s just easier that way. And we do the same thing – make a nice dinner, have a few fun cocktails, stay up talking or watching a movie and cuddling with our chocolate lab and generally trying to make it to midnight. Oh, I’m so wild and crazy 😉 I hope you have a wonderful weekend and I can’t wait to see what you bring us in 2017! XO
    Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table recently posted…Southern New Year’s Day dinner skilletMy Profile

Thanks very much, Kathryn! My pleasure! I LOVE brie (maybe a little too much, lol) so this recipe is right up my alley 🙂 Staying in is definitely the best. Hubby and I have gone out in the past, but our favourite is staying home. Nothing like it! Plus, we get to share the night with our fur baby (how could we possibly leave him out, right 😉 ?) Hope you have a fantastic weekend and Happy New Year, my friend! XOXO

10. Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says:

What a great list of goodies Dawn! Thanks so much for including my Nutella Hot Cocoa! My husband loves it! I missed those caramels at Costco! I hope they have some left because they look delicious.
    I’m so glad you had a wonderful holiday. I think we’ll probably be having some friends over for New Years. Just enjoying a nice meal and relaxing.
    Can’t wait to see what Girl Heart Food has in store for 2017! Happy New Year! XO
    Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen recently posted…Hungarian KifliMy Profile

Thank you so much, Mary Ann! Happy to include your Nutella Hot Cocoa! So perfect for Christmas! New Year’s with friends sound like an awesome plan….nothing better 🙂 You’re too sweet. Happy New Year too, my friend! Wishing you a fabulous year ahead in 2017! XOXO

Such a happy post! Sounds like your Christmas was wonderful and the plan for your New Year celebration sounds right up my alley! I’m loving your roundup, girlfriend! Thanks for including my cocktail! Wishing you a wonderful week and a very Happy & Healthy New Year! XOXO

Comments are closed.